Sunday, July 31, 2011

A good day at church

So WOW! The blogger in me is definitely coming out, because since Friday I've been thinking about what to write next on here, and how to formulate it perfectly so it's entertaining and interesting to read. Man alive... This whole blogging thing could have been a very, VERY bad idea :)

So this last month has been a not-so-easy month for me (for reasons not needed to be discussed, just believe me), but as I've been trying to have a better attitude this last week about life, God's plan for me, and being optimistic, positive, faithful and hopeful, I walked into church today. A usual activity for a nice, Sunday afternoon, but today was a little different. Because I felt like every single lesson was FORMULATED just for ME. Have you ever had that feeling? I've had one, MAYBE two lessons out of the three, but this was the first time it was all three.

Relief Society: So Bro. Moritsen taught the lesson today, and he used Elder Neal A. Maxwell's talk, "Lest Ye Be Wearied and Faint in Your Minds" which was FANTASTIC! My mom actually sent me this great quote from that talk about 3 months into my mission about how we HAVE to go through the bad things in life to know what Christ went through and be worthy to live with Him and Heavenly Father... Anyways, it was a quote that helped me MANY TIMES during my mission. So it was a lesson about what we need to do to get through all those difficult times, and it was EXACTLY what I needed after being a bit of a pessimist this last month. So now I'm going to be better at being positive, and looking for the good in things!

Sunday School: Here we talked about having a meaningful scripture study... not just reading to say you've read it, but to actually STUDY what you're reading. This is something I'm REALLY not that good at (never have been... even on the mission...), cuz I'm good at reading, pondering a bit, then moving on. I don't use a lot of footnotes cuz I don't think many of them apply like you hope they will (especially in explaining words I don't understand...), BUT I was chastised today, and I'm going to do better! I need to start spending more time and attention on the scriptures. One quote that stuck out to me was about how scripture study will increase your faith and drive to become better ... something that I need a lot. I mean, I have a drive to BECOME better, but then I face temptation, and fall. Horribly. So scripture study will help me resist those temptations and soar higher! I felt the truthfulness of that statement as I read and pondered it, and I know this is something that I need to do for myself.

Sacrament: So this was a GREAT topic, however 3 different talks about it made the meeting a little long. BUT the topic was on controlling our anger, which would then help us control everything else better. I must admit, my anger for the last few weeks has been pretty high... Almost to the point of boiling actually, a few times. But, again... We look for opportunities to serve and find the good in people, and that anger will be easier to control.

It was a great day at church! Definitely answers to prayers :)And THAT is how I know I have a loving Heavenly Father who has a plan for me, and is helping me chug along to continue on with it!

2 comments:

  1. I love those Sundays where every lesson pertains to something I need to hear/learn and would say they are rare but I'm sure they only are because I'm not open to listen and learn those things I need to. Glad you had one of those days. Glad you are joining the blogger world :) Even more glad you're my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete