Friday, August 13, 2010

Pray for Sara

We got an e-mail from Sara's mission president. She's in the hospital with Dengue Fever, and being monitored for her platelets levels and for IV fluids to keep hydrated. She should be okay but there can never be too many prayers. Here is the e-mail we got:

Dear Brother and Sister Hewlett,

This is President Groberg, Sister Hewlett's mission president. First, I want to tell you what an amazing and outstanding daughter you have. It is truly an honor to work with her. I feel I can trust her with anything. She is totally honest about situations also so I know I will get the truth from her and not a rose colored version.
I wish I could just stop there but unfortunately I am writing to tell you that she has been ill the past few days. She was checked today and it looks like she has Dengue Fever. It is a mosquito bourne virus that causes fever, aches and malaise. It can also drop the platelet count and make it easier to bleed. It is a temporary illness, usually lasting about a week. Several of the western missionaries have had it over the past several months. She will be fine but she is in the hospital in Bandung in order to monitor her bleeding and keep her hydrated. I have spoken to her a few times the past few days and she is doing okay. The last two elders we had with this illness were only in the hospital about 2-3 days, just long enough to see the platelets start to rise again. Her platelets were 36,000 which is low but not dangerously so. I was a Pediatrician for the past 31 years before this calling.
I know this is not the news you want to hear but I am sure she will be okay. We will have someone with her all the time. The medical care is good. Bandung probably has the best care in the nation
We will keep you informed.
Keep her in your prayers and we will do the same.
Sincerely, President Groberg

No comments:

Post a Comment